outtathyme Watermelon + Pistachio Salad Print This
- Half of a medium sized watermelon, cut in chunks
- Mint or basil, chiffonade
- ¼ cup pecorino cheese, shaved
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- CANDIED PISTACHIOS:
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp fine salt
- ¼ cup pistachios, shelled
- Cut watermelon, shaved pecorino with vegetable peeler, and chiffon mint or basil, set to the side.
- Combine lemon juice olive oil and pepper
- In a large serving bowl combine watermelon, mint/basil and dressing.
- For the pistachios: Preheat the over to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Stir the sugar, 1 tbsp water and the salt together in a medium bowl. Add the pistachios and stir to coat.
- Spread the pistachios on the baking sheet and bake until the nuts are golden and crisp, about 8 minutes.
- Allow the nuts to cool and top the salad with the cheese and nuts before serving.
*Re-created from Tony Mantuano’s Guest Chef Series @ Wrigley Field